In the News – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 

Local news outlets tragically reported on 2 adult deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning in their home earlier this month. This story is unfortunately repeated on the news every winter in Minnesota. We stand with the families and communities affected by this unfortunate loss of life.

We are sadly reminded by this event that carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. Lifesaving information is available within the federal government’s protection guide. Every head of household should read and understand this guide and share the information with their family.

In addition, three important points are worth reiterating and stressing further:

Take symptoms seriously –Headaches, faintness, dizziness, nausea, and shortness of breath are symptoms of low level carbon monoxide poisoning. They can easily be mistaken for the flu. It is important not to rule out CO poisoning, gain fresh air, and seek medical attention if necessary.

Have your system checked prior to each heating and cooling season. Owens Companies offers an affordable Preventative Maintenance Program.

In addition to identifying possible CO hazards. The Preventative Maintenance Program helps:

  • Avoid unnecessary repairs that often happen at the worst times
  • Reduce your energy bills by improving the efficiency of your system
  • Extend the life of your equipment
  • Document system care for insurance and resale purposes

CO detectors are important, but they are not the complete solution. Think of your CO detector as an extra set of eyes monitoring the situation, but they are not fool proof. Owens recommends a low level CO monitor that will detect at 5ppm and alarm at 15ppm for a households with children, older adults, or anyone with a compromised immune system. The $25-$30 price tag placed on most models is worth it, but it’s important to put all safety measures into practice.