Carbon Monoxide

As the heating season begins, we once again hear of injury and even death from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO monitors are required by State Statute, yet there is no requirement for the level of CO that must be detected. The standard CO monitor purchased from a hardware store will not alarm until 77ppm. This level is far above levels that can be harmful. For this reason, as a heating contractor for more than 54 years, we have found a low level CO Monitor which will detect CO as low as 5ppm. Important information you should know:

Symptoms of CO poisoning

The following symptoms may be related to CO poisoning and should be discussed with all members of the household:

  • Low Level Exposure (less than 35 ppm): of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu-like symptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have significant long-term health risks if left untreated.
  • High Level Exposure (more than 35 ppm; less than 70 ppm): Severe throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion, fast heart rate.
  • Crisis Level Exposure (more than 70 ppm): Unconsciousness, convulsions, cardio respiratory failure, death.

9 ppm Maximum allowable CO in living space for 8 hours (ASHRAE)

9 ppm Maximum allowable outdoors for 8 hours (EPA)

15-30 ppm First level reported to cause harmful effects (World Health Organization)

30 ppm Earliest onset of exercise induced angina (WHO)

50 ppm Maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for 8 hours
– Healthy adults – as recommended by OSHA in a work environment

70 ppm First level U.L. approved alarms must go off 2-3 hours

If there are young children, older adults or those with compromised immune systems in the home, it is even more important that one have a low level monitor. Please call Owens for more information: (952) 854-3800.

Leave a Comment