For over 60 years, Owens has been improving indoor air quality.
Your home should feel comfortable and be safe all year round. Owens uses the latest in HVAC technology to improve the air quality in your home.
Improving the quality of the air your family breathes is just a phone call away.
Air Purification Systems
Now more than ever, we expect the air in our home to be clean, safe, and comfortable. Owens Companies has the expertise to ensure the quality of your indoor air.
iWave Air Purifier system
Owens Companies is a proud provider of the iWave Air Purification system by Nu-Calgon. The iWave works with your existing air conditioning or heating system. When air passes over the iWave, ions produced by the device reduce pathogens, allergens, particles, smoke, and odors.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that poisons more than 20,000 people each year; killing more than 500. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Infants, the elderly, people with chronic heart disease or breathing problems are more likely to get sick from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide detectors are a smart idea, and are also required by law.
The typical carbon monoxide detector purchased at your local hardware store doesn't alarm until 70-77 parts per million (ppm) - when it may already be too late. At Owens, we believe every home should have low-level carbon monoxide detectors that will alarm at 15 ppm.
CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are dull headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, blurred vision, chest pain, and confusion.
People who are sleeping or intoxicated are especially susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. They may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before they exhibit symptoms or anyone realizes there is a problem.
- Make sure your gas appliances such as your water heater, furnace and stove are vented properly.
- Never patch a vent pipe with tape.
- Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances inspected and maintained by a qualified technician.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating, even if the power goes out.
- Never warm-up your car or truck inside an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
- Never burn charcoal indoors or in your fireplace.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage.
- Only purchase gas burning equipment or appliances that have the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories.
The most important specification to look for when purchasing a CO detector is the minimum level of CO at which an alarm will sound.
The typical carbon monoxide detector purchased at your local hardware store doesn’t alarm until 70-77 parts per million — when it may already be TOO LATE!
- The American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) guidelines allow only 9 parts per million (PPM) for 8 hours of continuous exposure in a living space.
- The World Health Organization has reported that harmful effects can start with as little as 15-30 PPM.
- CO exposure at 30 ppm has been shown to harm heart patients, pregnant women, and children.
- OSHA guidelines allow only 50 PPM as the maximum concentration for 8 hours of continuous exposure for healthy adults in a work environment
We believe every home should have low-level carbon monoxide detectors that will alarm at 15 ppm.
Also, check the date of manufacture; CO detectors lose their sensitivity over time. (Expect to replace your CO detector every five years or so.)
Whole-House Air Humidity Control
Home Comfort doesn't stop at temperature. An appropriate amount of moisture in the air helps improve your family's health and safety. Owens Companies is your partner in controlling the humidity in your home, all year round.
Humidification is about more than just comfort.
Did you know the humidity levels inside your home can have an impact on the microbes that are growing there? Studies have shown that bacteria and viruses are more infectious when exposed to dry air. Overly dry air can also reduce the life expectancy of appliances and electronics due to electrostatic discharge.
ASHRAE guidelines recommend a humidity level of between 40% and 60% for maximum comfort in your home. If you're sick of tripping over room-based humidifiers and want a long-lasting solution, contact Owens today.